- Authorities investigate rape of teenager in Benque Viejo del Carmen
- Belize City man shot and killed
- Armed robbery in Big Falls Village
- Family appeals for help in locating loved one
- Rain in the forecast for today
- UDP calls for the removal of Senator Eamon Courtenay
- Sunny skies with cloudy spells today
- Santa Familia fire victims seek public assistance
- BEL helps out senior citizens
- Businessman faces charge for discharging firearm in public
Detainee escapes from police; found dead later
A criminal and internal police investigation is underway in connection with the death of a man who was in police custody in Placencia village, Stann Creek district.
Tyson Rodriguez, a resident of Dangriga was found dead around 11:30 pm in a small pool of water.
The story, according to a source on the Placencia Peninsula, is that Rodriguez was detained on Friday by police in Placencia, pending investigation for a burglary earlier in the week.
Reports are that around 10:30 pm on Friday, while he was being transported to the police station, Rodriguez allegedly jumped out of the police pickup truck and made good his escape from authorities.
About an hour later, Rodriguez was found dead in a small pool of water.
The Commander of the Professional Standards Bureau, formerly the internal affairs department, Mr. Leal, Southern Regional Commander Senior Superintendent Robert Mariano, the commander of the Intermediate Southern Formation and the commander of the Placencia police are part of the team conducting the criminal and internal investigation into the incident.